Last night as we were going to bed Dan and I were talking about living here in Renton. Dan commented that we have live here in Renton almost as long as we lived in Rexburg. That was so hard for me to believe. Being here has been nice, and we have a lot of great friends, but Renton just doesn't feel like home to me like Rexburg did. I was always apprehensive about moving to such a small town like Rexburg, but now I long to go back. And we would probably move back if the opportunity presented its self.
For the past few weeks I have been thinking about all the things that I miss about Rexburg, so I have decided to share them.
Here is my top 10 list of things we, Dan misses these things too, about Rexburg. In no particular order.
1. Uncle Jim & Aunt Pat- My Mom's brother and his wife live in Rexburg. I actually lived with them the year before we got married, and Dan and I loved it! There is nothing better than great family. Whenever we stopped by there were always cookies in the oven, it was amazing. Dan made a joke that they must have had a camera at the end of their road and put them in when they saw us coming. We miss them so much.
2. Broulims- This is the greatest grocery store ever. It is locally owned and amazingly friendly. It is always clean and they have tons of good and exciting food. The only down side is that sometimes it gets really busy with all of the students shopping, but they always try to have a lot of people working at those times to make the lines faster.
3. Adam and Jessica Gerber- They were our up and over neighbors at Appletree Apartments. We had a few good couple friends, but we never had as good of friends as the Gerber's. We had so much fun together. We dyed Easter eggs, went sledding, rocked a basketball tournament with matching home made uniforms, and went to Craigo's. We would really like them to move to Seattle, but Adam still has more school, so we are considering following them around so we can always be neighbors.
4. Craigo's- The worlds best pizza place ever, and the best dessert. They have all sort of great pizzas, including BBQ chicken, Pesto and more. They have an amazing pizza, pasta and salad bar that is to die for. And there desserts include the Cookie Monster, a giant warm cookie covered in ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate and carmel.
5. Sunshine- It may be very cold in Rexburg during the winter, but at least the sun shines. It was so refreshing to see the sun on a cold day. Sometimes it feels like we go several days without see real sunshine here in Renton.
6. Porters- Dan doesn't miss this one so much, really it's just me. Porters is such a great craft store. It has scrpabooking, frames, home decor, fabric and tons of other stuff. I feel full of creativity just by going inside. The school year before we were married I would pick Dan up from school after he tutored. Our schedules were so that I would be about 15 minutes early. So I would go to Porters and just walk around and enjoy all of the great stuff. And it was perfect because it was just 3 block straight down the hill from where I would pick up Dan.
7. Green Canyon Hot Springs- Not many students know about Green Canyon, but it is a very important part of my past. For as long as I can remember my Mom's family reunion was held at Green Canyon. The swimming pool is the perfect warm temperature and if you are lucky on a cool fall day you can sit in the outside hot tub while the snow falls-Perfect!
8. Cheap BYU-I entertainment- BYU-I has brought some great concerts in. In the spring we went to the Vienna Boys choir and the King Singers! With the student discount we could actually afford to go to as many shows as we wanted.
9. Friendly People- No matter who you are or if you know someone or not, they wave at you, it's great. It takes a little getting use to, but then you too begin to wave at complete strangers, just because they are there. Here I have double checked that my car doors were locked when stooped at a stop light because of the people standing outside. In Rexburg I would have waved and if I was really friendly I would roll down the window and say hello.
10. Temple on the Hill- I love the Rexburg Temple and I especially love that it is on the hill looking down over Rexburg. There is something so majestic about the House of the Lord looking over the whole valley. It was also great that the commute to the temple was about 2 minutes from our apartment.
Oh, I need to add a number 11.
11. Cheap rent- I never appreciated how cheap our rent was until we lived here. Our rent is almost 3 times what we paid in Rexburg. I know we have more square footage, but not that much more. And in Rexburg our rent included cable and internet, water, sewage and garbage, and best of all a parking spot right in front of our building.
Our Easter
7 years ago

2 comments:
Sounds like fun! I have never heard of Craigos, but they sound good. :-) Is there anything you want for your shower this weekend?
I know how you feel. When we were there we had good friends and it's so beautiful and green but it's just not home. We were glad to come back to the 'other side of the mountains' as they say over there.
Post a Comment