Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Contraction Traction, What's your Reaction?

We'll they have started. I have had several contractions, usually when I get really anxious, but nothing like the ones that I experience this weekend.

The contractions started during my baby shower, and I was very very uncomfortable in general. The pain and intensity of the contractions continued to increase. Early Sunday morning I thought that I was going to have to wake up Dan and head to the hospital, because they were getting a little too regular. Those contractions subsided and I went back to sleep, just to have them start up again later in the morning. Aside from the contractions I was was feeling extremely uncomfortable. After incredible pain and contractions Saturday,Sunday and Monday I decided that I was not going to make it until our January due date. If necessary I would take things into my own hands and deliver him with a butter knife and a rubber band.

I headed to my scheduled Doctors appointment hoping for answers and some pain relief. I quickly realized that I wasn't over dramatizing my pain and that something was going on that they were equally worried about. The nurse came in and hooked me up to machines and discussed the results of my urine sample. I had everything up the kitchen sink in my urine, white blood cells, protein, and a very extremely high amount of red blood cells. That is what has been causing all the pain, and who knew that a bladder infection can cause contractions! Now that I am on some strong antibiotics and one the road to recovery I am left to ponder the events of the weekend.

When you find out that you are pregnant there is always an amount of time where you are kind of in denial. The test says your pregnant but you can't feel or see anything, is there really someone in there? Then you go to the Doctor and hear the heart beat or see the first ultrasound and yep, there really is someone living inside you. Now I am at the point where I have been pregnant so long that the idea that this baby is actually going to be born is hard for me to comprehend. These contractions sent me flying into reality! I am actually going to have a baby, we are going to bring him home, and we are going to be parents, FOREVER! And I am so not prepared for him to come. His room isn't ready, we don't have a car seat, actually we don't really have anything except clothes. So now I am freaking out about bring home our baby and wanting to get ready, and I can't. I have to take it easy for the next week or so, and all I want to do is get ready for our baby.

I never thought that my reaction to contractions is to nest. But ready or not here he come. Hopefully not anytime in the next few weeks, because I need time to get ready!

3 comments:

Steph said...

Good luck with preparing for the baby! FYI - Infection is one of the main causes of the amniotic sac prematurely rupturing...

Camille English said...

Oh thats a helpful Steph! Just relax, I had to be admitted to the Hospital and put on the most agressive stuff to stop contractions and then left the hosptial and went a whole month more, with twins, you can do it just don't get stressed I had to stop talking to my mom Because she stressed me out. Your doing awesome I can't wait to see the little guy! but we can wait a few more weeks.

Steph said...

Sorry! My intent wasn't to stress you out Kami! (I was just commenting on your statement that you were surprised that an infection can cause contractions and discomfort.)

I'm just glad that the problem was diagnosed and that you and the doctor realized something wasn't right.