Sunday, July 22, 2012

Coping with Change

You may or may not have noticed that we have been a bit absent for the blog as of recently. Not that there hasn't been anything to blog about, actually the opposite. There has just been too much life going on to keep up with. If you have to sit down and blog about then you have to spent time to sit down and relive it, and I just haven't been up for that.

The last 2 months have been extremely hard for our little family, me especially. Dan in school like usually, but also taking a class and preparing specifically for the Dental Admissions Test. The home we were living in was for sale. We averaged 3-4 showings a week, almost all on less than 24 hours notice. Near the end of May Logan fell off the couch and broke his arm. And then the hardest off them all, finding out that the feeling I have had about Logan's throwing up was right, it was MUCH more than just reflux.

In the beginning of June I finally insisted that our Doctor give us a referral to Children't Hospital for Logan to see a Gastroenterology Specialist. At this point he was usually throwing up 6-7 times a day, often full meals. Once we got into Children's I was reassured that this was not normal and we began running tests and scan's to find what the problem was. We waited and waited thinking no news was good news, then June 18 we got  a call. Logan is allergic to soy, wheat, corn, eggs and peanuts; with a possible diagnoses of something called Eosinophilic Esophagitis.

Here are a few things Logan can't eat- wheat flour, bread products, chips, chocolate, ice cream, corn starch, corn meal, cake, fruit snacks, popsicle, pasta, most cereal, doughnuts, chocolate milk, marshmallows, juice, candy, cake and much more. Start reading labels, you will be shocked at what is in your food.

The diagnosis of these allergies has been life changing and overwhelming. These allergies have changed everything in our lives, we are not the same people we were 5 weeks ago. I cook differently, we hardly ever eat out, I read EVER SINGLE LABEL, and I am more protective of my son than ever.

One of the hardest parts for me has been dealing with people who don't know about food allergies. I find myself wondering if the are ignorant or just don't care, most of the time I find that people just don't care. This week in a "food situation" someone said to me, "wheat, soy and eggs are in everything, what am I suppose to do about it?" Have some compassion, let's start with that!

This is the hardest thing I have ever done! I spend hours every day planning and cooking meals. I am overwhelmed and anxious every time we need to eat. I am determined to not let Logan feel left out. Saying "sorry you can't have some cake" while everyone else is eating it is not okay. Logan did not choose this, we our not trying to be difficult or hip with our food choice, this is the hand that we have been dealt!

 I am very aware that Heavenly Father is mindful of our situation. The day we got the diagnosis of the food allergies I got a call from a friend. I had sent her something in the mail that should have arrived the week before but she had just gotten it that day, not a coincidence. We had a wonderful chat and my spirits were lifted and I knew I could make it through this, I was not alone. I have been blessed with the wonderful talent of cooking. I have been able to continue to make things we love and have an understanding of how to change and substitute in recipes. My amazing Mother is constantly looking for products, recipes and help for how to feed Logan. She is only a phone call away and I could not have produce as many delicious things as I have without her.

I am struggling to cope with our new life, but I know that brighter days are ahead. Those days may be 6 months away, but they will come, and I will be more grateful than ever for them. I can already see the benefits of this hard work. Logan is a much happier and healthier boy. My struggles are not in vain. One day he will thank me for what I am doing for him, and I will be able to say it was all worth it.

2 comments:

meg said...

I've been thinking about you a lot lately. Hang in there, Kami. I'm glad you know what's been wrong with him and can do something to make it better. I wish the solution were easier, but I know you and that he will grow up with all kinds of yummy food.

Natalie Smith said...

My sister went through this and has changed our extended families menus. For my mom and sister - they were very frustrated and depressed with the initial diagnosis. The lists of ingredients that she couldn't eat seemed impossible to work with! IT gets better. It is different, but seriously your family will probably be much healthier than the average family. I am sorry you have had to struggle with this and making life enjoyable and a normal one for Logan. You are a good mommy. I hope it all gets under control and soon you will know how to substitue everything...it becomes an art!